1 John 5.1 It will Preach!

Have you ever read a verse before but when you read it one particular time it just jumps off the page? I had that happen this morning.

Here is the verse in my own words: “Everyone that believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God” (1 John 5.1a).

That verse will preach; I mean it will preach.

I am only in 1 John 2 so I am weeks away from preaching this text, but here is how I see it:

• Question 1: What does it mean to be born of God? Is this the same as born-again? Is this saved?

• Question 2: What does it mean to believe? The devils believe and they are not born of God so what is the distinguishing aspects of this type of belief?

• Question 3: And this one is the biggest of them all. What does it mean to believe that Jesus is the Christ?

Now that is the big one. What all is involved in believing that Jesus is the Christ.

Let me cut and paste one paragraph for you to read from the Easton Bible Dictionary:

Christ — anointed, the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered “Messiah” (q.v.), the official title of our Lord, occurring five hundred and fourteen times in the New Testament. It denotes that he was anointed or consecrated to his great redemptive work as Prophet, Priest, and King of his people. He is Jesus the Christ (Acts 17:3; 18:5; Matt. 22:42), the Anointed One.

So having read that paragraph, do you see how you could use this verse as a great opening and closing verse in a gospel presentation.

Off the top of my head let me share with you what we see here in regards to believing that Jesus is the Christ.

• Son of God sent from God the Father.
• Virgin born God-Man.
• Sinless Life.
• Vicarious Substitutionary Atonement on the cross.
• Literal death, burial and resurrection.
• Savior (implying that I have a need for a Savior because of my sin).
• Lord (acknowledging that I will strive to live as the Master wishes; implying an act of surrender and repentance).
• Prophet (recognizing that He speaks and is an authoritative spokesman for God in my life).
• King (King of Kings).

What do you think? Could you use this verse to preach the gospel?